Skip to main content

A Lone Place

A child's laughter could simply be one of the most beautiful sounds in the world"  -unknown

I thought I would write about playgrounds today since we have had a couple of good experiences this week. This week, we visited the play area at Burger King and at a mall and Drew actually made a new friend at each place. But first let me give you a run down of how things normally go at a playground so you know why I was so happy. 
Whenever Drew and I go to a playground, I usually have to convince him to use the playground equipment. Sometimes he likes the slide, but almost always he will do everything once and then it is off to wander around the outskirts as far as I will let him. I can't even count the numorous photos I have of him wandering away from the playground. When there are another kids there, I always encourage him to wave Hi and I tell the other kiddos his name. Things usually start out ok, but when other kids start talking too much at Drew, asking him questions he can't respond to, or Drew starts making his motor boat noises, someone usually get frustrated and they quit playing with each other. Sometimes Drew wanders away first, but sometimes the look on his little face, the longing to be understood and to play with others is heart breaking. Kids don't understand his sign language and  some don't understand the noises he makes. Up to this point, playgrounds have been a lone place for us. 
The short time Drew was in daycare wasn't always great either. He didn't play with the other kids much. He got frustrated a lot and started having aggressive behaviors. He would hit and pull hair. I can only go by reports from his teachers, but that was so discouraging.
But this week, This Week was great! Granted this was one-on-one, but it was with someone Drew has never met before. First, at the Burger King play area we met a little boy who was 4.  (I will call him W) W was so awesome with Drew, even though at one point he told his parents that Drew was being a "pain in the butt" because he wouldn't climb up to the slide with him. His parents were mortified, but I was laughing hysterically. Obviously they told him not to call people that and apologized to me... but overall I was so happy we met W. He was so kind to Drew. And even thought he was a little talker, it didn't bother him at all that Drew didn't talk or that he made noises. I have to give credit to his parents as well, because at first W seemed confused that Drew wasn't talking back to him, but his parents encouraged him to keep playing with Drew. Eventually they totally warmed up to each other and were running around, climbing, playing, and most important to me, LaUgHiNg!! Other than one-on-one with close friends, I don't think I have heard Drew laugh with a new friend, let alone at a playground. I think my face hurt when we left from smiling so much!
The second place we went was a play area at a local mall. There we met a little girl who was 3 also. (I will call her K) As usual, Drew was making motor boat noises and K seemed to avoid him. She actually ran back to her grandparents saying she was afraid of him. :( But they kept telling her that Drew wouldn't hurt her and it was ok to play with him. After a short while they really hit it off! Between tag, hide & "BOO", and sliding down the slide,they both seemed to be having a great time. We both ended up having to leave at the same time, and neither kiddo wanted to go! Usually Drew is ready to leave a playground before I am. He has actually walked to the car from a playground before.
I am so thankful we were at the right place at the right time to meet W and K. Kudos to their parents and grandparents. Without some encouragement, Drew wouldn't have had such a great experience at the playground and I wouldn't have left with my cheeks hurting from smiling and my heart overflowing! 

The following photos were taken at playgrounds... as you can see... no playground equipment or other kids in them. Facebook photos at playgrounds are totally posed, this is real, the solivagant at heart. 








Comments

  1. So glad he had fun and that your face hurts from smiling. Give him a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

D-Day

Solivagant is defined as  a  solitary wanderer and although he will never walk this journey alone, Autism, by definition, makes communication and social interactions difficult.  November 4, 2019 was D-day, Diagnosis Day. But lets start 3 years, 4 months, and 10 days ago... June 26, 2016, Andrew Ezra was born by emergency c-section at 12:10am. He was 6lb 12oz and 20in. Drew was born 4 weeks early. We ended up staying in the hospital a week due to Jaundice. Once home, we had a happy, smiley baby! He had blonde hair and blue eyes and everyone thought he was adorable!  Now, while I was pregnant with Drew, I had gestational diabetes and had to go down to Pittsburgh to get a fetal echocardiogram, since there was a risk of heart defects with GD. Thankfully, Drew did not have any heart defects. After, I was approached to be a healthy control participant in a research study which looked at brain development and heart defects. It entailed a MRI in womb, a MRI at age 1, and a developmental

Daily Struggles

A diagnosis is burden enough without being burdened by secrecy and shame. -Jane Pauley  Sometimes it’s hard to know what is typical of a 2 or 3 year old when it comes to behaviors. You always hear that you shouldn’t compare your child to any others, but then how do you know when there’s a problem? With this post I want to write about our day to day struggles. Are some of them going to be typical 3 year old behaviors, without a doubt, but just consider them on top of other behaviors and you can see why this mama is so tired sometimes.  Since we brought Drew home as a newborn, getting him to sleep has been horrendous! Once asleep, thankfully, he’d sleep all night and still does. It took many, many conversations with an OT and Special Instruction therapist and weeks and weeks of keeping a log of bed time routines to figure out the perfect combo. Before the therapists helped, it could take up to 3 hours to get Drew to sleep. And most of that 3 hours included crying and screaming. W